If you are not intending to breed from your rabbit we advise neutering bucks and does for a number of reasons.
Advantages of speying a female rabbit
- Prevention of any unwanted litters.
- Prevention of uterine cancer. Recent studies have shown that 80% of older females had evidence of uterine cancer. The womb and ovaries are removed when a rabbit is speyed so prevents this occurring.
- Stops nest making behaviour and associated hair plucking.
Advantages of castrating a male rabbit
- Prevention of unwanted litters
- Reduction in any aggressive tendencies.
- Reduction in territorial spraying behaviour.
At what age can the operation be carried out?
Bucks are usually castrated from 6 months of age. They are sexually mature at 4 months of age and can be castrated at this age if necessary to prevent unwanted litters.
A doe can be speyed at any age from 6 months old.
In common with any operation, there is a small anaesthetic risk associated with the procedure.
How much does it cost?
Current prices are available from the receptionist or nurse. It varies a little depending on the size of your rabbit.
If you wish to book your rabbit in for the operation or wish to ask any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.